Durham-Orange Light Rail Transit Project
Type: Road Improvements
Affected County: Durham
The NCDOT is implementing a new rail project in Durham County called the “Durham-Orange Light Rail project.” This new rail transit project will stretch from UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill to North Carolina Central University (NCCU) in Durham.
This newly proposed rail line will service 18 stations and connect three major state universities. In addition to the light rail, improvements to the bus system will be made to link the stations together.
Below are a few facts about this new development rail project:
- Planned Length: 17.7 miles
- Planned Stations: 18
- Estimated Travel Time: 42-44 minutes end to end
- Estimated Cost: $2.4 Billion (in 2028 dollars)
- Funding Source: Local ½ cent sales tax, vehicle registration fees, rental car tax in Durham and Orange counties, fares, state and federal funds
- Bus Improvements: New and enhanced bus services will connect to light rail stations
- Land acquisition anticipated to begin 2020
The Durham-Orange Light Rail is predicted to open in 2028 – a two-year postponement from the initial 2026 date.Click here for a project overview and a detailed map of this project Click here for additional details of this project
Helping Property Owners Across North Carolina
If you’re facing full or partial condemnation of your home, land, business, or church, you have rights. Our North Carolina eminent domain lawyers have experience helping property owners throughout the state, and we want to provide the answers you need to protect your best interests.
We’re ready to help you stand up to the NCDOT—call us 24/7 at (919) 781-1107 or complete our free initial consultation form to get started now.